A supportive place for people affected by neuromuscular conditions
MDNSW believes that people with disabilities are experts in their own lives. They become excellent navigators of many systems, innovative problem-solvers and hold the key to accessing information, support and services they need to participate in everyday life.
Life stage transitions are significant for those with NMCs and often include substantial increases in support needs. Peer Connect groups ensure that participants are empowered throughout life stage changes through connecting with others with similar lived experience. Hearing about other people’s journeys and experiences can make people feel like they are not alone. If others have had success, they feel more confident and motivated to try new things. Peer connection is powerful!
Contact us if you need more information in a format that suits you.
Watch our Peer Connect video!
What happens in Peer Connect?
- share experiences, information and tips
- learn advocacy skills
- motivate yourself and others
- build confidence and empowerment
- participate in and contribute towards your community
- fellowship with people who understand
- practical and emotional support
- laughter and fun!
Connections are important, especially in these times, so MDNSW is running a mix of online and face-to-face groups.
Groups we are currently running:
- Power Hour – for powerchair users 18-30 years old
- Mums’ Wine and Chat – for mums and carers of children with MD
- Info Share – for adults with MD and their carers
- FSHD Friends – a group for people living with FSHD
- SMArties – a group for people living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
- Duchenne Families – a group for family members of people with DMD
- Limb-Girdle MD – a group for people living with Limb-Girdle MD
- MD Life, Love & Loss – for people who have lost a loved one with MD
- Myotonic MD Meet-up – a group for people living with Myotonic MD
- Peers in Action – a chance for people with MD and their families to get together for an activity, connect and have a bit of fun!
- Peer Connect retreat – Get away for the weekend with your peers and enjoy a relaxing, fun time making new friends and catching up with old ones! Click here for more info.
Peer Connect Calendar – What’s on and when?
You can view our Peer Connect Calendar giving you a complete overview of our meetings planned for the next three months!
You can find out what’s on for the upcoming few weeks on our Events page.
In order to keep our groups safe we are using best practice guidelines and we also have Expected standards of behaviour for online groups