Info and Resources on Sexuality and Relationships
We talked about Sex and Relationships!
Of course, people with disability have sexual desires, feelings and want love and intimacy just like people without disability. This topic is rarely spoken about, but is an intrinsic part of life.
A recent Peer Connect Info Share online session featured guest speaker and ‘sexpert’, Liz Dore, from Relationships and Private Stuff. This was a terrific opportunity to share conversations in relation to the impact that MD has on this aspect of life. Some of the information discussed is listed below:
- Touching Base – a network of independent sex workers, provides information for people with disability or their carers on how to access the sex industry, unique resources, and training workshops, resources and information about disability for sex workers
- Scarlet Road – documentary that follows the story of an Australian sex worker and her clients with disability. Can be purchased from Touching Base
- An article Liz supplied about one couples experience of para orgasm
- Family Planning NSW – https://www.fpnsw.org.au/who-we-help/disability – covers a wide range of projects, resources and workshops for people with intellectual disability and their support people
- Relationships and Private stuff – http://www.relationshipsandprivatestuff.com/ Office in Dulwich Hill, contact Jan on 0416 122 634. Offers counselling and education for individuals, couples or small groups, and events such as workshops and dances to meet people. Office wheelchair accessible, NDIS registered for services. You can contact the office to discuss getting a quote for counselling services for NDIS plan review.
- This Peer Collective has a section on Relationships and Sexuality
Movies / TV on the topic of sex and disability
- Atypical – Netflix recommendation – an American comedy drama series, a coming of age story that follows Sam, an 18-year-old on the autistic spectrum as he searches for love and independence
- The Fundamentals of Caring – A young man with DMD exploring life, support workers and relationships
- The Sessions – 2012 American erotic comedy drama film, based on the 1990 article “On Seeing a Sex Surrogate” by Mark O’Brien, a poet paralysed from the neck down due to polio, who hired a sex surrogate to lose his virginity
Check out Peer Connect for other Info Share sessions and peer group meet ups